WILLIAMSBURG, Mo. — Classes were cancelled Wednesday at Williamsburg Elementary School after school officials identified a gas leak.
No children were injured.
"It seems to be isolated to the front office area," said North Callaway Superintendent Brian Garner. "You can't smell it, but the eyes water and there's a headache-type symptom."
Front office staff began feeling symptoms before the school day began.
"We took a reading, and it showed carbon monoxide (was present)," Garner said.
The building was evacuated, and Garner sent a notification to parents at 7:53 p.m. informing them that school at Williamsburg Elementary had been cancelled for the day.
"A couple of (students) had come in, but most of them were on the bus or en route," he said. "We got them turned around, and everyone is safely home."
Garner said the fire department and an engineering company are on site trying to determine the gas' source. Early signs indicate a malfunctioning HVAC may be to blame, he said.
No other schools in the North Callaway district are affected.