Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Local history buffs will get a chance to meet with Callawegians long gone at the Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society and Museum’s second annual Cemetery Tour on Sept. 18.
This year’s event will be held at the Old Auxvasse Cemetery, with a picnic lunch hosted by the Old Auxvasse Cemetery Association coinciding with the 11:45 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. tours. A 2:30 p.m. tour will not feature a meal.
Museum Curator Barb Huddleston said that last year’s inaugural event was a success, and wanted the tours to alternate between Fulton city cemeteries and county cemeteries.
“It’s a fun way to learn some of the Callaway County history,” Huddleston said. “We’re covering several time periods, and last year we touched on a lot of people who weren’t members and probably hadn’t even been in the museum.”
As with last year, this year’s tour will feature local volunteers in period garb performing monologues as certain figures interred at the cemetery.
More like this story
- Callaway Historical Society to host President’s Day trivia Feb. 22
- Historical society to put on unique fundraiser
- Capturing Callaway: Historical Society launches Oral History project
- Kingdom of Callaway County Historical Society prepares for cemetery tour
- Gidley’s wood horse finds new stable in Historical Society
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting