Friday, August 16, 2013
Fulton firefighters responded at about 2 p.m. Thursday to a car fire at the corner of East 9th and Vine streets.
Charles White, 19, was returning home from work Thursday afternoon in his 1999 Pontiac Grand Am when he noticed smoke emerging from under the hood.
White stopped the car at the corner and exited right as city gas worker Jared Daro happened to drive by. Daro attempted to use a fire extinguisher in his truck to put out the fire, and when that didn’t work called 911 and set up cones to block off the intersection.
Fulton fire personnel arrived soon after and extinguished the blaze. Assistant Chief Kevin Coffelt and other firefighters used equipment to saw off the hood and douse the charred engine block to prevent further flare-ups.
“It definitely started in the engine, the fire stayed there and smoke was showing,” Coffelt said. He advised any motorists who see smoke or flames in their engine to immediately exit the car, get away, call 911 and stay up wind and out of smoke.
Coffelt said the vehicle was totaled. White noted he had smelled gasoline coming through the air conditioner of the car about a week ago but hadn’t had a chance to look into the problem.
The car was towed by Tom and Steve’s Wreckage and Recovery Service.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting