Monday, September 19, 2011
With income dropping rapidly and facing fiscal insolvency, the U.S. Postal Service has proposed another round of cutbacks but most of them won’t directly affect the Fulton Post Office.
The nationwide measures include:
• Eliminating 35,000 jobs.
• Closing 250 mail processing facilities.
• Closing 3,700 small post offices.
• Reducing mail processing equipment by 50 percent.
• Adding an extra day to first-class mail delivery.
• Discussion of eliminating Saturday mail deliveries.
• Ending the Postal Service federal retirement plan to create its own plan.
The Fulton Post Office has escaped many of the cuts the Postal Service has imposed during the last four years.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting