Today's Edition News Sports Obits Digital FAQ Events Contests Classifieds Autos Jobs Newsletters Search

A Holts Summit man has been placed on five years of supervised probation after a chase with authorities in Cole County in August 2019.

Dakota Wilcox, 22, pleaded guilty during a hearing before Cole County Circuit Judge Jon Beetem to felony charges of possession of a controlled substance, resisting a lawful stop, tampering with physical evidence and first-degree property damage. He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of careless and imprudent driving, and unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia.

A misdemeanor charge of driving while revoked was dismissed by prosecutors.

As part of his probation, he must pay $602 in restitution. If he fails to meet conditions of his probation, he faces four years in prison.

Also charged in the case was Kimberly Carver, 23, of Holts Summit, who pleaded guilty to felony possession of a controlled substance and misdemeanor unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia. Beetem placed her on five years of supervised probation in May.

A deputy saw Wilcox leaving a known narcotics residence near the intersection of Shadow Court and Westview Drive, according to a Cole County Sheriff's Department probable cause statement. He had his left turn signal on, but when he noticed the deputy's marked vehicle, Wilcox turned right and failed to stop at the intersection. The deputy activated his emergency lights, Wilcox failed to stop, and the pursuit began.

Speeds reached 90 mph in residential neighborhoods, and Wilcox went through several stop signs and signals.

Deputies with the Moniteau County Sheriff's Office were notified of the pursuit, which by then was going west on U.S. 50. Moniteau County deputies went to Route K and deployed spike strips. As Wilcox approached Route K, he crossed into the median and began traveling east on U.S. 50 toward Cole County with authorities in pursuit.

Just west of Wieneke Branch Road, Wilcox ran off the right side of the road and attempted to flee up a large grass embankment, eventually hitting a fence and coming to a stop. The property owner estimated Wilcox caused $1,000 in damage.

Wilcox fled the scene on foot but was taken into custody about 250 feet from the vehicle. Carver stayed in the vehicle and was taken into custody.

Deputies went through Wilcox's vehicle and found several empty bags that tested positive for methamphetamine on the floorboards along with a pipe that could be used for smoking methamphetamine.

When questioned, Wilcox said he fled because he did not have a driver's license, and there was methamphetamine in the vehicle. Wilcox also admitted to throwing a bag with methamphetamine out his window during the pursuit. He also said he had eaten some of the drugs to keep authorities from finding them.

During her questioning, Carver said she had told Wilcox to stop the vehicle, but Wilcox said she had never said this. Carver also said she didn't think she needed to contact authorities on her cellphone because she knew Wilcox wouldn't pull over.

COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.