Today's Edition News Sports Obits Weather Events Classifieds Autos Jobs Search

A Fulton man is in custody following a high-speed chase and manhunt Wednesday morning in central Callaway County.

Devin Albers-Hook, 18, was charged by the Callaway County prosecuting attorney with three felonies and two misdemeanors following the chase.

Albers-Hook was charged with felony tampering with a motor vehicle and two felony counts of resisting arrest by fleeing. He was additionally charged with misdemeanor operating a motor vehicle in a careless and imprudent manner and misdemeanor leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident.

On Tuesday, the Callaway County Sheriff's Office received a report of the theft of a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 from the 8500 block of Route BB. Also on Tuesday, the Fulton Police Department received a theft report regarding a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado from the 800 block of Center Street.

The chase began at 8:28 a.m. when a CCSO deputy observed the stolen vehicles on Route NN south of Fulton, and the drivers refused to stop. According to the probable cause statement, the deputy pursued the 1998 Chevrolet, whose driver was identified as Albers-Hook, and the FPD pursued the 2013 Silverado.

The CCSO's pursuit traveled south on Old Highway 54 at speeds up to 100 mph to the area of New Bloomfield. According to the CCSO, Albers-Hook traveled west on Route J at speeds of approximately 75 mph through the New Bloomfield school zone. He then traveled west on Route MM through a residential neighborhood at speeds of approximately 80 mph.

After continuing on several county roads in the New Bloomfield and Guthrie areas off Route MM, Albers-Hook lost control of the truck and crashed through a fence. He continued across a pasture and crashed through another fence and continued on County Road 364.

At the dead end of County Road 364, Albers-Hook crashed through a barbed wire fence and into a brush pile before abandoning vehicle near the intersection of county roads 364 and 373 to flee on foot.

After approximately an hour of searching, he was located on Route Y around 10:25 a.m. and taken into custody following a search involving several deputies, the sheriff's K-9 officer and Missouri Highway Patrol troopers. During the search, authorities contacted various residents in the area to advise them to take precautionary measures.

According to the probable cause statement, during an interview, Albers-Hook stated he was picked up in the truck that morning, and the driver quickly parked the truck on Route O saying he didn't feel comfortable. Albers-Hook claimed he suspected the truck was stolen and drove it toward a scrap yard on Route NN, where he planned to park it.

Albers-Hook admitted during the interview he decided to run when law enforcement attempted to stop him, according to the CCSO.

During the interview, he also admitted he met the occupant of the stolen 2013 Chevrolet Silverado and followed it along Route NN. According to the probable cause statement, Albers-Hook was not cooperative in assisting law enforcement in identifying the second driver, the CCSO stated. During the investigation, it was determined the stolen 2013 Chevrolet Silverado dropped off the suspect who stole the maroon 1998 Chevrolet K3500.