After authorities identified the cause of a sulfur smell at Fulton Middle School, students returned to the building Friday afternoon.
Karen Snethen, Fulton Public Schools director of professional development, said a faulty floor scrubber was sniffed out as the smell's source. No students or staff were harmed. Snethen said Fulton's city inspector and law enforcement officers conducted a search of the school and have removed the faulty equipment.
"The faulty equipment has been removed, and the doors have been propped open to let the building air out," said Ty Crane, FPS assistant superintendent.
Snethen said the smell was discovered when FMS Principal Beth Houf arrived early Friday morning. By the time students began arriving, Snethen said the doors had already been propped to help with the smell.
Sixth-grade students were relocated to Bush Elementary, seventh-grade students to McIntire Elementary and eighth-grade students to Fulton High School. Students remained at these locations through lunch and were bused back to FMS for dismissal in the afternoon.
FMS staff members in charge of the sign-out process were located at each building if parents needed to check their student out early.