UPDATE: According to Fire Chief Dean Buffington, an electric space heater in a front room of the home was the probable cause of the fire.
Because the house - currently owned by Brandy Bradshaw - is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Buffington was unable to provide damage estimate.
A Fulton home suffered serious damage in a fire Thursday morning.
Fulton Fire Chief Dean Buffington said when his crews arrived on scene at 311 Jefferson St., "flames were shooting out the windows clear out into the yard."
There was no one home at the time of the fire.
Buffington said firefighters had the blaze under control within 20 minutes, but crews would continue to work in the house throughout the afternoon "chasing hot spots."
"This is an older building, and that presents a few unique challenges," Buffington said. "It has balloon construction - it's more opened up, doesn't have as many barriers, so the fire travels, and you have to play cat and mouse finding hot spots."
He said the preliminary investigation indicates the fire started on the ground floor. It is too early to determine a cause for the blaze.
Buffington said the state fire marshal's office has been called in to help with the investigation.
"There's so much damage, their resources will be of some use to us," Buffington said.