Fulton, MO 62° View Live Radar Sat H 63° L 46° Sun H 62° L 49° Mon H 64° L 48° Weather Sponsored By:

Cigarette causes garage fire in Fulton

Cigarette causes garage fire in Fulton

December 17th, 2013 in News

Fulton firefighters assess the damage done to a garage Tuesday on Monroe Street after a fire. The resident was smoking in the garage. His cigarette caught on fire after he set it on the floor where there was gasoline, said Fulton Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Coffelt.

Photo by Brittany Ruess

Fulton emergency workers quickly put out a garage fire after the a cigarette ignited gasoline, Fulton Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Coffelt said.

After receiving a call from dispatch at 7:52 p.m. Tuesday, the Fulton Fire and Police Department responded to a garage fire on Monroe Street, near 15th Street.

Coffelt said when Fulton firefigthers arrived, the back of the garage was the only part of the structure on fire. He added that firefighters had the situation "under control within a couple minutes." The garage is detached from the home.

The fire started when a cigarette ignited gasoline. The resident had placed his cigarette on the floor while he was cleaning in the garage, where there was gasoline on the floor and in several gas cans, Coffelt said.

The resident attempted to put out the fire himself, Coffelt said, but when he was unsuccessful he called emergency personnel.

The resident suffered from minor smoke inhiliation.