Fulton, MO 67° View Live Radar Sun H 66° L 50° Mon H 66° L 50° Tue H 68° L 49° Weather Sponsored By:

Biggs Center fire causes damages

Biggs Center fire causes damages

Blaze limited to security room

July 26th, 2012 in News

Fulton firemen arrive Wednesday morning at the Biggs Forensic Center on Route O in Fulton in response to a fire reported at 9:02 a.m. at the Fulton State Hospital's maximum security unit where criminally insane are housed.

Photo by Don Norfleet

A fire in a security camera room near the front of the Biggs Forensic Center at 1157 State Road O in Fulton Wednesday morning was brought under control quickly by Fulton firemen.

Fulton Fire Chief Dean Buffington said a joint investigation by his department and the State Fire Marshal's Office ruled the cause of the fire was accidental.

"The only thing that could not be ruled out as the cause was a container of lithium batteries making contact together causing the ignition," Buffington said.

"When batteries are stored together they may make contact and may combust," Buffington said.

The fire chief said when people place batteries in their pocket with loose change the batteries may heat up when they make contact with metal.

"If batteries make contact with metal or other conductive materials they may heat up and perhaps start a fire," Buffington said.