Fulton, MO 87° View Live Radar Tue H 91° L 72° Wed H 88° L 69° Thu H 80° L 66° Weather Sponsored By:

Portable heater sparks house fire

Portable heater sparks house fire

January 14th, 2011 in News

Mandi Steele/FULTON SUN photo: A fire spreads through a home on Southshore Drive, southeast of Fulton, Friday, causing the area to fill with smoke.

Nyle Beatty stood with one of his dogs watching firefighters work to extinguish flames at his home Friday morning after some wood in front of his portable heater caught on fire.

Beatty said he was using the Torpedo heater to thaw his frozen water lines when some nearby wood sparked. He tried to throw water on it, but was unable to squelch the flames. He called 911 from his portable house phone and said he was surprised at how fast the Central Callaway Fire District responded.

"I was impressed," he said.

Beatty and his wife, Joann, have lived in the house on Southshore Drive southeast of Fulton for more than 25 years. Beatty's brother, Noel, said the property, which surrounds Glove Spring Lake has been in their family for quite some time. Noel was also at the scene after his mother called him with the news.

"You never want to hear these things," Noel said. "Fortunately, no one was hurt."

Beatty said his wife was at work when the fire broke out and he quickly got his 10 dogs out of the house to await the fire department. He added that he has used a Torpedo heater for "years and years and never had a problem."

Greg Luebbert, fire chief at CCFD, said his team was able to save the structure, though he's not sure how much damage was sustained from flames and smoke. The district received the call at 11:37 a.m.

"We had a good response today," Luebbert said. "We were quick out the door with trucks."

South Callaway Fire District and Callaway County Ambulance District also responded to assist CCFD. Shannon Thompson, paramedic at CCAD, said EMTs responded in case any family members or firefighters suffered any complications with smoke inhalation, as there was plenty rolling out of the house.

Damage estimates sustained from the fire are not yet known; however, Beatty said he did have insurance.