Fulton, MO 75° View Live Radar Tue H 84° L 64° Wed H 87° L 65° Thu H 89° L 67° Weather Sponsored By:

Fire causes damage to duplex

Fire causes damage to duplex

December 28th, 2010 in News

A fire broke out Monday at a Fulton duplex after oil got too hot on the stove and ignited.

According to the Fulton Fire Department, authorities were called at 5:53 a.m. Monday to 1202B Kathy Street.

"We got there and had a working fire in the kitchen and flames were showing," Assistant Chief Kevin Coffelt said. "Crews went in and attacked the fire. It did go into the attic some, but the fire was out in about 10 or 15 minutes."

The fire department used several engines to attack the flames. Twenty-one fire personnel responded to the blaze.

Coffelt said the only occupant in the home was out of the house when crews arrived on the scene. A dog was inside the home, but firefighters were able to rescue it.

Coffelt said there was a smoke detector in the home, but it was not working properly.

"It is very important to have working smoke detectors. Smoke detectors have proven time after time to save lives," Coffelt said. "It may not have helped in this case, because the resident was already up and going. But had they been sleeping, they might not have been alerted and gotten out."

Coffelt said he offered the services of Red Cross aid to help Jessie Thompson, the lone resident in the unit, but that he declined.

The fire department estimated the damage at $50,000. The attached duplex had minimal damage and fire damage was contained to the kitchen and attic area, according to Coffelt. Smoke and water damage was present through the rest of the home.

Fulton police assisted with traffic control at the scene, and a Callaway County ambulance was on scene for stand-by.