Fulton, MO 61° View Live Radar Sun H 79° L 61° Mon H 80° L 66° Tue H 81° L 54° Weather Sponsored By:

Lockdown lifted at Jefferson City High School

Lockdown lifted at Jefferson City High School

October 12th, 2017 by News Tribune in Local News

In this Dec. 5, 2011 file photo, a school bus leaves the Jefferson City High School campus at the end of the school day.

Photo by News Tribune /Fulton Sun.


Loud banging noises made by a student led to a brief lockdown at Jefferson City High School, Thursday morning.

According to school officials, upon final review of building surveillance video and interviews with staff, the incident in question involved a student banging on the locked, northeast entrance door. The loud banging sounds were mistaken for what resembled the sound of gunshots.

"Due to the uncertainty of the situation, a teacher did the right thing by immediately initiating the lockdown," said District Spokesman Amy Berendzen.


Jefferson City High School briefly was placed on lockdown this morning, but the status has since been cleared.

A Jefferson City Public Schools spokeswoman told the News Tribune around 8 a.m. that the high school campus at 609 Union St. was placed on lockdown, but updated the situation at 8:12 a.m. to say the lockdown had been lifted.

A short time later, the school announced on social media that the high school was on lockdown for about 20 minutes due to "suspicious noise" on the second floor. 

"At approximately 7:53 a.m. this morning, the high school went into lockdown due to a suspicious noise heard on the second floor," district officials wrote on Facebook. "After thorough investigation by building administrators, the 'all clear' then followed at 8:11 a.m."

The post went on to say: "High school staff did an outstanding job facilitating the lockdown. They reacted quickly, in the best interest and safety of our students. JCPS administrators will continue to look into the incident to piece together what exactly led to the lockdown."