A house in the 400 block of 5th Street in Fulton suffered $25,000 in damage after catching fire Thursday night, Fulton Fire Chief Kevin Coffelt said.
"I'm just trying to wrap my head around what happened," Moses Rahman, one of the house's residents, said Friday.
Coffelt said department investigators concluded the fire resulted from a cooking incident.
"I was cooking, and I fell asleep," Rahman said. "It was the kind of nap that wasn't planned."
Rahman said he was cooking on the house's second floor when the oil in the pot he was using caught fire.
"I woke up and I smelled the smoke and I saw the flames," he said.
He said he didn't even think to use a fire extinguisher; instead, his first impulse was to grab the pot, carry it downstairs and find something to smother it with. He shares the house with four other people, three of whom were home that night, he said.
Rahman said one of his housemates poured a pair of water bottles on the fire, causing it to spread. Experts advise against pouring water on kitchen fires for that reason.
The fire department was called, with crews arriving at about 11:20 p.m., Coffelt said. The Central Callaway Fire Protection District also responded, along with the Callaway County Ambulance District and the Fulton Police Department.
"Fire crews were able to bring the fire under control with an aggressive fire attack," he said.
The building had fire damage on the second floor and smoke and water damage on the first floor. Rahman said no one was hurt.
The American Red Cross offered assistance to the building's residents, Coffelt said.
"They helped as much as I'd let them help," Rahman said, adding he was uncomfortable accepting too much charity.
He said he plans to learn from the experience and not make the same mistake again.
"God is in control," Rahman said.
Fire damaged a two-story house in Fulton Thursday night.
The Fulton Fire Department responded around 11:20 p.m. to the blaze at 408 East Fifth Street, according to a news release issued by Fire Chief Kevin Coffelt.
Upon arrival, firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the home's second floor where they discovered an active fire.
The occupants were able to exit the building on their own. Firefighters searched but found no one else inside. Fire crews were able to bring the blaze under control with an aggressive fire attack, Coffelt stated.
Fire damaged the second floor; smoke and water damaged the first floor. Damages were estimated at $25,000.
Investigation determined the fire started from "a cooking incident" on the second floor, Coffelt reported.
The Central Callaway Fire Protection District, Callaway County Ambulance and Fulton Police Department assisted with the incident. The American Red Cross was called to assist occupants with their personal needs.
Editor's Note: This article has been updated with a confirmed cause of the fire and damage amount, and corrected to remove an incorrect reference to the structure as brick.