Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Maldives political activist Shauna Aminath, a 2008 Westminster College graduate, was released Saturday from an arrest early last week after she participated in another anti-government demonstration in the Maldives.
Aminath has been invited to Westminster next month to serve as a “global leader in residence” and to share her political activism in the Maldives with Westminster students.
Aminath also had been arrested last July while participating in another anti-government demonstration in the Maldives.
A native of the Maldives, Aminath is the current president of the Maldives Democratic Party Youth Wing. She was a deputy undersecretary in the deposed administration of former Malidves President Mohammed Nasheed, whose elected government was overthrown in a coup d’etat by the current government last February.
More like this story
- Westminster officials concerned for safety of former Fulton student
- UPDATE: Westminster graduate released Saturday after arrest in Maldives
- Westminster graduate released Saturday after arrest Friday in Maldives
- Russian clerics forgive punk rockers for Putin rant
- Protest, clashes in Cairo, 2 other Egyptian cities