Callaway County man dies from home fire near Millersburg

A Callaway County man is dead after a home fire late Thursday night.

Robert Walker, 37, died from smoke inhiliation while trying to escape his residence at 2952 Ben Oaks Drive near Millersburg, according to Lt. Clay Chism, investigator with the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office.

The fire started in the kitchen after cooking was left unattended. Chism said when Walker went back to the kitchen after some time, he discovered the fire and alerted his two preteen children to leave their home.

The children then fled to a neighbor’s home and the neighbor called the Callaway County Joint Communications Center to report the fire and alert emergency personnel that Walker may still be inside.

The neighbor and an adult female family member, who was returning home, went to the residence, found Walker unconscious at the front door and pulled him a short distance from the burning home, Chism said.

By the time a Callaway County deputy arrived on scene at 10:58 p.m., the home was fully enveloped in flames. The Millersburg Fire Protection District, Central Callaway Fire Protection District and New Bloomfield Fire Protection District responded to stop the fire, and along with Callaway County Emergency Medical Services, responded to Walker’s health.

Fire and EMS officials attempted to resuscitate Walker, but he was pronounced dead at 11:31 p.m.

The Missouri State Fire Marshal’s Office will conduct further investigation, but the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office reported foul play is not suspected.

An autopsy will performed on Walker today by the Boone/Callaway Medical Examiner’s Office.

The Callaway County Sheriff’s Office notified SERVE and the American Red Cross to support the family with a temporary residence, food and various vouchers, Chism said.

The Red Cross responded to the family after a call from the Callaway Count Dispatch at 1:15 a.m. on Friday, and provided resources for the family to purchase food and clothing, according to a release from the Red Cross.

Three children, ages 10, 12 and 13, and adult who survived the fire are staying with relatives, according to the Red Cross.

Clothing and shoe donations are being taken at New Bloomfield Elementary School.

For more information on dropping off donations and specific needs, like shoe and clothing size, call the school at (573) 491-3700.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

| Fulton Sun>