Friday, August 30, 2013
After a successful inaugural event last year, Fulton Out of the Darkness walk coordinator Melody Seiger is looking forward to a bigger and better things in 2013.
The annual suicide prevention walk raised about $17,000 for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP). This year, the event will begin 1 p.m. Sept. 15 at the Fulton State Hospital lawn, walking along the Stinson Creek Trail.
Seiger said raising that much money was a success, which will aid both national and local suicide awareness.
“We’re doing this for awareness, so people know it’s a problem, and also to prevent others and let them know there’s other options,” Seiger said. “We want to erase the stigma attached to mental illness and encourage people to get help if they’re suffering.”
More like this story
- Fulton woman uses painful past to help others
- AFSP to host bowling fundraiser for suicide awareness
- Fulton group becomes official American Foundation for Suicide Prevention chapter
- Local AFSP chapter to hold Fulton’s third Out of Darkness walk Saturday
- Suicide prevention group to host national survivor day Saturday at Callaway Health Dept.
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting