FFD puts out Airway Drive apartment fire

The Fulton Fire Department responded to the third area fire in as many days, this time at 543 Airway Drive, apartment 306.

The department made entry to the third floor apartment when the fire alarm system activated and alerted all occupants. Firefighters with the first engine company observed light smoke and flames showing from the outside deck of the third floor apartment. The fire was extinguished quickly, and there were no reported injuries.

Fire officials said the fire was an accident, caused by the spontaneous combustion of a pot holder that had fragrance oil spilled on it. The fire was contained to the outdoor balcony, with no structural damage caused to the building.

“It’s not one we run into every day,” said B-shift captain Irving Garbison, who was one of 19 fire personnel on-site for the incident. “We’ve run into them before where people used linseed oil and threw rags in a bucket, and that will spontaneously combust. It’s the first I’ve ever run on, it’s just something that happens sometimes.”

To finish reading this article, please pick up a copy of The Fulton Sun at a newsstand nearest you or become a subscriber by calling (573) 642-7272.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

| Fulton Sun>