Breaking News

Police arrest Fulton man on cocaine charges April 23, 2014

Fire breaks out in north Fulton home

The Fulton Fire Department responded to a house fire Aug. 2 at 1009 Chippewa Drive, on the north end of town.

Fire personnel were alerted to the fire around 5:39 p.m. when a neighbor called, reporting heavy smoke coming from the house. Two engines and one squad responded and doused the home in water, bringing the fire under control within 20 minutes.

Firefighters on the scene said no residents were in the home at the time — it’s occupant was later determined to be staying with family. Damages were estimated at $60,000 to the building and its contents.

Investigators with the Fulton Fire Department, Fulton Police Department and State Fire Marshal’s Office determined the cause of fire was a faulty lamp that short circuited.

“A lamp was left on, and they had been having problems with the lamp and it shorted out there,” said assistant chief Kevin Coffelt. “We found some wires that were arced in the area, and it was the only thing we couldn’t rule out.”

Coffelt said that it was important to be cautious of faulty electrical equipment, and also important to make sure smoke detectors are in working order. Fire personnel determined there were detectors in the home, but they had not been functional.

“We recommend changing batteries in smoke detectors when you set the clocks back and forward each year,” he said.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

| Fulton Sun>