Two cannons donated to Ike Skelton Training Center

Charles Machon, director of the Museum of Missouri Military History, and Adjutant Gen. Steve Danner look at the engraving on one of the museum’s recent acquisitions. This is an 1890s-type cannon used by a St. Louis unit during the Spanish-American War. It had been housed at the now-closed Kemper Military School in Boonville.

Charles Machon, director of the Museum of Missouri Military History, and Adjutant Gen. Steve Danner look at the engraving on one of the museum’s recent acquisitions. This is an 1890s-type cannon used by a St. Louis unit during the Spanish-American War. It had been housed at the now-closed Kemper Military School in Boonville. Photo by Julie Smith.

The last push against the Germans in the summer and fall of 1918 found Capt. Harry Truman placed in command of an “ornery” artillery battery, which had taken pride in driving off its previous commanders.

Read additional details in our newspaper or e-Edition. Newspaper subscribers: Click on an e-Edition article and log in using your current account information at no extra charge. For e-edition help, e-mail circ@newstribune.com. Click here to purchase the full version of archived articles.

According to the last surviving member of that unit, bets were even placed that they’d run off Truman within 90 days.

But the young Truman proved himself to be a great leader with a good attitude and a get-it-done approach, said Charles Machon, director of the Museum of Missouri Military History.

Truman led Battery D, 129th Field Artillery, 35th Division, which used the popular French 75 mm cannons.

The museum on the Ike Skelton Training Site received a similar type French cannon this week.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

| Fulton Sun>