No one hurt in Sunday electrical fire

Don Norfleet/FULTON SUN photo: The residence of Nick Miller at 521 S. Westminster Ave. sustained an estimated $50,000 in damages during a fire Sunday night. No one was injured in the blaze that firemen say started in the electrical wiring in the basement.

Don Norfleet/FULTON SUN photo: The residence of Nick Miller at 521 S. Westminster Ave. sustained an estimated $50,000 in damages during a fire Sunday night. No one was injured in the blaze that firemen say started in the electrical wiring in the basement.

No one was home when an electrical fire Sunday night caused about $50,000 in damages to the Fulton residence of Nick Miller at 521 S. Westminster Ave.

All Fulton firemen were called to the scene to battle the residential blaze, which was reported to the Fulton Fire Department at 8:45 p.m.

Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Coffelt said investigators from his department determined the fire originated in electrical wiring in the basement area of the residence.

When firemen arrived they noticed heavy smoke coming from the house. Coffelt said it was determined prior to arrival of firemen that there were no occupants inside the structure.

Coffelt said a neighbor noticed the fire, knocked on Miller’s door and no one answered. The neighbor then called 911 to report the fire.

The first fireman attack team found fire coming from the basement area. Firemen were able to bring the blaze under control within 10 minutes of arriving on the scene.

Firemen found smoke detectors in the residence but the detectors were not functioning when firemen arrived.

“The basement was partially finished. The basement area was virtually gutted by the fire and there was water damage and extensive smoke damage on the main floor,” Coffelt said.

Coffelt said Miller’s dog was in the backyard of the residence when the fire broke out. “The dog is fine,” Coffelt said.

A total of 24 Fulton firemen responded to the residential fire. The department sent three fire engines, one ladder, one squad car and one staff vehicle.

Coffelt said one fireman injured his hand fighting the fire and was treated and released at the hospital.

Medical units also were at the scene to assist with any possible injuries to firemen or occupants. Fulton police assisted with traffic control.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

| Fulton Sun>